Stringer Topo is very simple to use and this Getting Started guide will help you evaluate the software, get a handle on the main features and empower you to use Stringer Topo on your own survey data.
You already have the resource files for the Getting Started (Tutorial) Guides below – they are copied onto your computer when you install Stringer Topo.
Download/Open the Stringer Topo Getting Started Guide
For Civil 3D Users
Note: The Drawing Template for the data referred to in this Guide is installed to
C:\CSS Training Data\Stringer Topo\For Civil 3D
For AutoCAD and BricsCAD Users
These Getting Started Guides will take you through the fundamental steps to import raw observational survey data:
- Opening, editing and reducing raw survey observation data into coordinated geometry (COGO) points
- Understanding how point codes result in user controlled point display, and how the point description format will deliver automation in terms of linework in the drawing and surface breaklines.
- Understanding that the Stringer Settings controls how breaklines are managed – which codes are connected with 2D linework and which with 3D linework (adding breaklines to your surface)
- Joining (Stringing) all the appropriate points together to deliver linework and surface breaklines
- Surface creation using the COGO points and breaklines
- A selection of the tools in Stringer Topo to correct survey errors and enhance your surface and linework results
- Some of the production outputs you will want to know about
For AutoCAD and BricsCAD Users
Quick Steps to Using Stringer Topo for AutoCAD/BricsCAD
- Open any blank drawing with all your layers, linetypes and blocks in it
- Click on Import Point Styles
|This will add all the Point Styles required for Stringer Topo to work in your drawing/Template|
Stringer Settings (STS)
- Start the command Stringer setting by clicking on the above icon shown
- Click on the Select Different Correlation File button and Navigate to
C:\CSS Training Data\Stringer Topo\For BricsCAD\V18\Imperial\Stringer Topo\Stringer Settings files
- Select – ALPHA (SURVEY)USA.SDB
Start the command Stringer Connect (STRC)
- Click on the Raw Data Tab first
- When prompted to select a file, change the File Type to RW5 (bottom right) and navigate to
C:\CSS Training Data\Stringer Topo\For BricsCAD\V18\Imperial
- Select Jones Oval – USA_ALPHA.RW5
Note: you can edit the survey pickup (unless picked up as coordinated data) to match particular control points, add/remove target heights and more.
- Once you have selected that file, click on Control Options at the top left and pick Select Control File (Make sure the format is set to CSV)
- Navigate to C:\CSS Training Data\Stringer Topo\For BricsCAD\V18\Imperial\Stringer Topo and select the Jones Oval – USAControl Points.csv
- Click on the YES button and then this will now shift the Total Station marks onto a co-ordinate datum as required
- Click on the Preview Tab to see the new position of the survey. The preview view is below
- Click on the Reduced Coords Tab (1)
- Click on Transfer Points (2)
- Untick the Error Ellipses first
- then click on Proceed button on the form shown below
Points are then added to the drawing, with labels displayed and symbols being assigned from the Stringer Settings as shown below
Validates Codes (RAC) – This is run automatically upon importing points. If there are any codes that aren’t in the Stringer Settings SDB file but are in the drawing, a form with UnAssociated codes will show up. If you want to run this function again, manually click on the icon showing above and it will be run function again.
Use the SAVE AS command to save your drawing with a suitable name and location before running the Join All Codes Command.
Join All Codes (JAC)
Select this function to join all the strings from the field together.
For Strings to join correctly they need to be a in a sequential order based on the same code e.g. HOUS46, PATH55 etc.
You should check through the help system to appreciate the myriad of other useful functionality in Stringer Topo, or consider booking in some training for us to take you through all the finer details.